Texas school districts offer pre-kindergarten for students who meet one of the requirements below:
- unable to speak and comprehend English, limited-English proficient (LEP)
- educationally disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the national free or reduced price lunch program)
- homeless, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child;
- child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority;
- child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty;
- in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Texas Family Code Section 262.201; or foster care in another state or territory, if the child resides in this state;
- child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer, firefighter, or first responder under Texas Government Code 3106 (injured or killed in the line of duty).