Child Nutrition » Policies & Procedures

Policies & Procedures

Meal Charging Policy

Godley ISD knows that sometimes children forget their lunch money or do not
remember to let parents know they need money on their accounts. Sometimes life is so
busy for parents that they just simply forget to check their child’s account balance. We
now have a plan to ensure that your child will receive a hot, regular, complete meal when
your child’s account is low or negative.

Local Meal Charge Policy

Students enrolled at Godley ISD will be allowed to charge up to $25.00 for complete
meals only, but will not be allowed to buy or charge a la carte items. A complete meal
consists of at least 3 of the 5 components offered, one of which must be a fruit or
vegetable. Many times our entrees are 2 components (meat & grain).

Each week the Child Nutrition Department will send out negative balance notices for
Primary Students. Secondary students are informed of low account balances when they
make purchases. Family Access in Skyward allows parents to receive low balance
emails. When a student has charged for three consecutive days, cafeteria managers will
contact parents and a Free & Reduced Application will be sent home. We will make
every attempt to notify parents of low balances to reduce charges. We ask that you
make every attempt to reconcile your child’s account as soon as possible. If necessary,
we will accept partial payments. If a student must charge, we will let the child know
when they purchase the meal. In the event a student’s charges are not paid, Godley ISD
may choose to not allow students to attend extracurricular field trips, athletic events
etc.. until the charge is paid. This debt will remain on the student’s account throughout
the child’s enrollment at Godley ISD.

If at any time your household is experiencing an economic need, either long term or
temporary, please call the Child Nutrition Department for a confidential inquiry. We may
be able to help.

Remember for your convenience you can always pay online through Skyward Family
Access, at all campus cafeterias & main offices during school days.

If you have any questions contact the Food Service Department @ 817-592-4231.

Free & Reduced Meals

If you have applied for free or reduced price meals and have a pending application, you must pay for all school meals until you receive an Approval Letter. We receive hundreds of applications each year, and we work hard to process them as fast as possible. It, however, may take up to thirteen days to begin receiving benefits after the application is received by the Child Nutrition Department.

Because of the time it takes to process applications, students who were free or reduced in the previous year remain at their previous year’s status for the first thirty days of the new school year or until a new application is received and processed. Once a new application is processed the new status takes over, so if a child was free last year, and an application is processed in the second week of school that qualifies the student for reduced meals, the student’s status will be changed to reduced status on the date that the application is processed not at the end of the thirty day period.

Students, who do not turn in an application that can be processed within this thirty day window, will roll over to paid status and will be responsible for paying for all meals consumed. For this reasons it is very important for parents who feel that they may qualify for free lunches to promptly complete and return an application at the beginning of each school year. Parents, who do not qualify for free meals, may qualify for reduced price meals. 

Please do not put anyone at the school in the position of having to deny your child a meal – NO ONE wants to do that! If you make sure your child has adequate funds in their account, this can be avoided. Thank you. 

Applications are available at all campus offices & cafeterias.

Special Dietary Needs

Students with any special dietary needs must have a medical authority’s statement on file with the food service department. All previous accommodations our district has done in the past will no longer be honored until we have a signed statement from an acceptable recognized medical  authority. The medical authority must identify the condition, how it affects a major life activity, what food items are to be omitted and what foods are to be substituted. 

The Special Dietary Order Form must be used.
This form must be renewed every school year.
We will no longer accept a handwritten note from a parent. Acceptable recognized medical authorities are: Physician (Dr.), Physician’s Assistant (PA), or Advanced Practice Nurse (APN).

Payment Options

Parents may prepay for their child's meals with a check or cash at each cafeteria. Parents may also pay using a credit card through Family Access.  Students may prepay for their meals before school, or they may pay for their meal at the time of service.

Returned Checks

Per the Godley ISD Financial Policy Manual 

In the event that a check written to any Godley ISD campus, club, or organization is returned unpaid by the bank, Godley ISD or its agent (CheckSmart) will redeposit the check electronically.  Additionally, a returned check fee of $25 plus applicable sales tax will also be made electronically.


For any student who is withdrawn or graduating, a written request for a refund of any money remaining in their account must be submitted to the Child Nutrition office in order for a refund to be issued. The letter must be from the child’s parent/guardian. The letter must request the refund, list the child’s full name and date of birth, and list the address where the refund is to be mailed. 

Unclaimed Funds

All refunds must be requested within one year. Unclaimed funds will then become the property of the Godley ISD Child Nutrition Department.

Account policy

Student’s accounts are for their use only.
Monies applied to the accounts are available for purchases at all points of sale.
Once money is applied to an account it cannot be refunded unless a student withdraws from school or graduates.
We do not cash checks, for any reason.

Civil Rights

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on
the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual
orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons
with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program
information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should
contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s
TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal
Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form
AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online
m-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (866)
632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the
complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the
alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for
Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The
completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

1. mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or

2. fax:
(833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.